Corporate entry: Honiara Golf Club


Honiara Golf Club began in late 1957 on the site of what had been the Fighter II airfield at Kukum. By the mid-1950s the airfield had begun to deteriorate, with grass growing through the runway and taxi runway. Henderson Airfield (q.v.) was upgraded and became the main Honiara airfield in 1958. A leaf hut on Fighter II, which had housed the Immigration and Customs Services, was used as the Golf Club house. The greens were extended to nine holes in 1959. The original temporary leaf clubhouse was replaced in the early 1960s with a permanent structure. As late as 1969, Fighter II was brought back into occasional service as an airfield, which interrupted the golf. (NS Jan. 1959, 31 Aug. 1964)

Related Concepts

Published resources


  • British Solomon Islands Protectorate (ed.), British Solomon Islands Protectorate News Sheet (NS), 1955-1975. Details