Cultural Artefact: Lungga Bridge


A new Bailey bridge across the Lungga River on the road to Henderson Airfield, Honiara, was opened on 29 August 1958. The original bridge erected by the Americans during the Second World War was swept away in a flood and replaced by a temporary Bailey bridge, which was damaged during a cyclone in early January and again in August and October of 1959. Before the new bridge was opened on 23 September 1960, a ferry-lighter took across vehicles needing to get to the airfield. The Kukum Fighter II airfield was also recommissioned, which meant chasing golfers off the new greens of the Honiara Golf Club. (NS Aug. 1958, Oct. 1959, Sept. 1960)

Published resources


  • British Solomon Islands Protectorate (ed.), British Solomon Islands Protectorate News Sheet (NS), 1955-1975. Details